Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Stand By Your Man

Two developments: The NY Times is reporting that Silda Spitzer reportedly is urging her hubby, Democrat Elliot Spitzer, to stay.
State government remained paralyzed on Tuesday as Gov. Eliot Spitzer, reeling from revelations that he had been a client of a prostitution ring, was engaged in an intense legal and family debate about whether to resign or, as aides said his wife was urging, to stay on.

What's going on here? Hard to say. Some people (not just men) have a powerful almost hynotic hold over their partners, despite their behavior and the way they treat their parnters.

We talked about the hurt on Silda Spitzer's face yesterday as she stood by her good for nothin bumb husband, Democrat Elliot Spitzer. Why do it? In this morning's NY Times Dina McGreevey tries to answer that question. She of course the wife of fomer Democrat NJ Governor James McGreevey who was caught in an affair with a man.

For me, I was essentially in the dark about what my husband was going to say. He never told me he was gay; he simply passed me a copy of his speech an hour before the press conference. I was in a fog. I certainly didn’t volunteer. I was in no emotional state to make a rational decision, and there simply wasn’t time. He asked me to stand next to him, and I did.
Frankly, all I was thinking about was my daughter. If I had to do it over again, I’d do the same thing. I did it for my daughter’s father.